Saturday 10 March 2012

Initial research - Lilly McElroy 'I throw myself at men'

Lilly McElroy's series, 'I throw myself at men' was the main piece of work I connected with in the introduction talk. It made me laugh and also made me think of how apt the photographs look in coordination with the phrase 'throwing yourself at men'. It really stuck with me, especially the images where you're not sure whether this man is going to be able to catch her, a romantic decisive moment. It's such a powerful metaphor for relationships and also the fact that she initiated these blind dates online connects back with my previous project 'Online'.
She portrays so much confidence and trust in those she's never met that makes me really admire this work.
Here are a few examples:







I also love the atmosphere of the bars and how it is such a typical place to witness women and men figuratively 'throwing themselves' at each other! It's just perfect to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment